Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Rachel Got Married... big deal.

The Oscars have come and gone, and this one is far past it's DVD release date, but its taken me a considerable amount of time getting around to seeing it. From what everyone was saying/raving/drooling over it I had assumed this would be a safe bet and figured it might be nice to see Anne Hathaway play a trainwreck. Turns out either everyone has really bad taste or were all hopped up on their own set of pills when they were either watching and/or talking about this one. I honestly have absolutely no clue why this was supposed to be a good movie.

I think this is a film that suffers from the "its arty so if things don't work out like everything else its still a great movie its just ARTY/visionary/ (insert stupid critic view here)" The movie has so many holes and unresolved relationship issues, undeveloped characters, and scenes that take too long to get to any important point to move the story along. There's the rehearsal dinner... a scene that after 6 people you will never hear a word from at any other point in the movie toast the bride and groom, they think its perfectly fine to go through another 5 or 6 before FINALLY getting to Kym (Anne Hathaway,) and her trainwreck of a toast. There's the non-existent love interest, that I think they had the idea about but forgot about it 1/2 way through fimling. She (Kym) ends up sleeping with the best man (also an addict at a 12 step meeting) in the first 10-15 minutes of the film, and you'd think that maybe there would be a bit more of a recurring voice as a source of advice for her, or someone that she can lean on and maybe get closer to, or any number of other ways, yet instead you go the whole movie without anything except for a flirty invitation to come visit at the end hinting that they have really been into each other for along while.

The whole movie was just frustrating and or boring me to tears or anger more than half of the time. I found myself during two sequences nearly yelling at the television to get to the goddamned point. *sigh* Ugh don't even remind me of the reception... its a 10-15 minute long scene of the families at a wedding reception with a few nervous glances of Kym looking at her mother. I get wanting to capture crazy families and awkwardness but you can do that without making me feel like I want to leave make myself dinner and come back to not having missed anything. And I'm not one of those anti-indie/artistic type films either, the two movies I'm really looking forward too coming up are probably going to be in that vein, or either just less publicised and still awesome. (500 Days of Summer and Away We Go) Its just that this one to me should have been a short film considering the amount of content you actually get from the entire 113 minutes of runtime, either that or completely re-worked because it could have been a really moving and powerful film but instead becomes a chore and worthy of "critical acclaim" because some overly pompus art haus film geeks think its deep.

Long (a very very long) ,and unnessicarily so, story short Rachel got married, Kym was a mess, and there was alot of people around for it and then everyone went home... thats it. I went in wanting to know about these people and came out still wanting to know about these people becasue there's so much more and they just made me not care anymore. Go see it if you want but I'll threaten your life if you try and make me see it, or at least make you pay me some sort of compnsation.

2 of 5 for good ideas with horrible follow through.

No comments:

Post a Comment